Using the Amazon’s SES API instead of the classic SMTP solution, provides us with the possibility to correctly track email activity among users.
Create new IAM user
It is best to create a new user. You can also connect your SES account with an existing user, but creating a new one enables increased account security.
- Login to your AWS account
- Go to IAM dashboard.
- Go to the Users details dashboard (from the left hand menu).
- Click the Create new users button.
- Add a user name: api.ses.domain.com can be a valid choice or leave the predefined name as is.
- Make sure that the Generate an access key for each user is checked.
- Click the Create button
- Download/save security credentials
- Copy those credentials along with selected region name under your email settings.
- Click the Close button
Configure user permissions
- Select the previously created user from the users list.
- Go to the Permissions tab.
- Click the Attach policy button.
- Search and check the AmazonSESFullAccess policy.
- Click the Attach policy button
Get the AWS region code you use
- Go to http://docs.aws.amazon.com/general/latest/gr/rande.html#apigateway_region
- Find the region you have the SES account setup on.
- Save the Region value of the corresponding row (e.g.: eu-central-1). You will save this into email settings.
You still need to configure Amazon SES notifications and authenticate your domain for sending, please check here for more details.